Saturday

Day 218 - A Day in the Life, Part Two

Past midnight now, but I owe you a wrap-up to that story, and I can't find the desire to sleep.

Ian and I plunged down to the basement, stopping only briefly to grab a couple of handguns we had stashed for ourselves for just such an occasion. We ran out back and got to the bottom of the parking lot just as the others were moving the gate aside. We flew past them, leaving them to button the gate back up, and took off back up the street and toward the soon to be victim. We caught glimpse of her as she was getting to the corner just in front of our building. She was backing away from the zeds, completely focused on them. Poor thing, what if one had popped out of the building behind her? Lucky for her we kept this block so well swept.

We called out to her as we approached, so as not to startle her with our proximity. She gave us a crazed, panicked look, and started to raise the machete. She seemed to then realize we were running, not shuffling, and had spoken, not groaned. We told her to run to us, and get behind us. She paused for a moment, almost long enough for one of the zeds to grab at her arm, then seemed to collect her wits and bounded towards us. We let her pass between us, and brought up our guns.

I dropped the one on the right with two shots to the face, the second one entering dead center in the forehead, and Ian disposed of the other with one shot to the left temple. Ian always was better with hand guns. I need to get back in to the range and practice a bit. Can't have that showoff beating me much longer.

After we cleared the two zeds we knew about, we stalked our way up the block to the corner to get a clear look around. There were no zeds in sight, but with all the gunfire, some were sure to come out of the woodwork. We'd take shifts through the night, cleaning up any strays that found there way over to us. We turned to go back down the hill, and saw the woman huddled there, sobbing and shaking uncontrollably.

I ran down to her, and dropped to my knee beside her.

"You all right," I asked, venturing the words softly and reassuringly.

She continued to cry heavily for a few more minutes. I waved Ian to go down and get the others to do a more thorough sweep of the area. "We might as well clean up what we can while we're out here already."

He went off and I saw them split in two teams to go off for a quick sweep. Ian, as usual, took Crista with him. Those two are too perfect for each other.

I waited until the woman was able to calm down and collect herself. Eventually, having worked herself down to sniffles, with the occasional punctuating sob, she looked up at me. I've seen that look a thousand times since the zeds first came, and each time it hurts just as much.

I put my hand on her shoulder reassuringly, and asked, "what are you doing out here, miss?"

"I was *sniffle* out with part of my crew looking for parts for our generator, when we got separated by about a dozen of them. I was forced to take off this way, and only those five followed me. *sob* We were just a bit down Comm. Ave. I tried to fight them, but this thing," she held up the machete, hand too weak to keep it from just dangling there useless. She sobbed a bit before continuing, her voice cracking slightly with her tears, "is all but useless and I was afraid to let them get too close. Before I knew it I was here, trying to ward them off and find my way back. One of them got a little close for comfort and gnashed it's teeth close to my arm. I remember screaming, and then gunfire."

"Well it's a good thing you did scream this time, so we could know to come help you. That was us, by the way, with rifles on the roof, so no need to worry about anyone popping out just now. Next time though, miss, just run carefully and try to lose their trail. There's no telling how many you might draw to you by screaming like that."

"I... *sob*... I know. *sniffle* I know. Thank you. Oh God, I thought I was dead. What can I possibly do for you to thank you for saving me?"

"Now, now, don't worry about that sort of thing. The only payment we require here is that you keep on surviving. That means you run when you can, and fight when you can't. Oh, and if you hear gunfire, run even faster towards it. Better a bullet than a zed."

She took in the words silently, but I could see by the look in her eye that she was finally calming down. The adrenaline was wearing off and she was composing herself for good.

I gave her my hand and pulled her to her feet. "Well, Miss..."

"Sanderson. Molly Sanderson."

"Well, Miss Molly Sanderson... can I call you Molly?"

She nodded.

"Well, Molly, I know you have a crew to return to. We all need to stick close to those we're with, after all. But... I'm not sure the light is going to hold out long enough for us to help get you there, and I can't in good conscience let you wander off by yourself. Tell you what, you're welcome to stay here tonight, and first thing tomorrow we'll get you back. We have enough supplies for it certainly, and we'd love to hear your story."

She smiled as best as she could, and I put my arm around her and walked her down the block and around to the gate. As I began to open it, the others showed up and gave the all clear. I made the proper introductions as we moved in to the parking lot and secured the gate with special care, in case anymore zeds came wandering along.

Ian cooked up a mean stew for us as we sat around listening to Molly's story. Apparently she was with a crew of 4, two of Molly's roommates and one of their brothers who happened to be up visiting. They were surviving just a bit farther out of the city, about a mile's walk mostly down Comm. Ave. They had survived much in the same way as we did. While their friends and neighbors took to the streets, they did their best to lock themselves in. Seem they have quite a crew over there, and hopefully we can start working together on projects as the need arises. Boston is still in a very "every man for himself" state amongst the survivors, but it's worth a shot to try and get something going. Worst case we can set them up with a long distance radio, so at least we can talk and keep tabs on them, and make sure they stay alive.

Alec, Brian, and Crista volunteered to take watch that night and let Ian and I take it easy. Watch usually involves sitting on the roof with one of our infrared scopes and making sure things stay calm. I offered up my bed to Molly so she could get a good night's sleep. We have a kick-ass couch anyway, and I find myself crashing there some nights just for the hell of it. She gave me a look that said, 'I'd rather not be alone tonight,' and so we ended up sharing the bed. We didn't do anything, but it was wonderful to at least have the company of a stunning young woman. The night was calm but for the occasional peal of rifle fire as a curious zed shuffled in to the area on the heels of the day's commotion.

The next morning we got up bright and early, had a good breakfast, geared up, and took Molly home. The trip was uneventful. When we finally arrived, she called her crew out using a little hidden talk box behind a bush just outside the front door. Clever idea, and one I may need to implement, just in case. They came out, a bit warily at first, but Molly assured them things were fine. After they seemed to conclude we had no ill intent, we all stood around sharing stories and survival tips and tricks. I promised to send them a long distance radio as soon as I could get one working, so we could keep in touch and they could call for help if need be. We said our goodbyes, and Molly hugged me fiercely. Then we came home to another normal day in post-zed Boston.

We're not always so lucky, but for Molly's sake, I'm glad this time we were.

- B

No comments:

Post a Comment